How Much Does CyberGhost Cost?
CyberGhost offers VPN subscriptions ranging from $2.29 a month to $12.99 a month.
- Servers in 91 countries
- Headquartered in Romania, outside Five Eyes, Nine Eyes, and 14 Eyes jurisdictions
- Affordable with a variety of subscription options
In our assessment of CyberGhost’s pricing, we’ll walk you through all the features that the company has to offer. We’ll even tell you why we liked it specifically, just in case you’re looking for input from VPN experts like us. To start, we’ll go through pricing options and break down exactly what you’ll be getting with those hard-earned dollars. Then, we’ll wrap it all up and go over some of the questions we get most often.
CyberGhost Subscription Options
For the lower commitment month-to-month option, CyberGhost charges $12.99, the highest monthly cost. To maximize your savings, however, signing a three-year contract is the way to go. The three-year plan costs $83.85, or about $2.29 a month. If neither of those options is suitable for you, you can opt for the one-year or two-year subscriptions, which cost $3.95 and $3.15 per month, respectively.
|Term length||1 Month||1 year||2 years||3 years|
|Total amount billed||$12.99||$47.40||$75.60||$83.85|
What A CyberGhost Subscription Includes
We got the same product no matter which subscription we opted for. Here’s exactly what we got with each subscription:
- Hidden and shared IP addresses
- 256-bit AES encryption
- Encrypted web traffic on public Wi-Fi networks
- 7,200 servers in more than 90 countries
- Ability to stream Netflix, along with other streaming services like Hulu and Prime Video
- Automatic kill switch
- Can connect up to seven devices simultaneously
- Unlimited bandwidth and traffic
- OpenVPN IKEv2 and WireGuard protocols
- DNS and IP leak protection
- 24/7 live chat support team
WATCH OUT: Streaming services like Netflix are always making updates to block VPNs. That means that while we could access Netflix at the time we tested CyberGhost, that might not always be the case.
CyberGhost also offers a referral program, which we took full advantage of. For each friend we referred to CyberGhost, we earned an additional 30 days of protection, with a maximum of three referrals. What’s more, when our friends signed up using our referral link, they received 30 free days of protection, too. That’s what we like to call a gift that keeps on giving!
We had a wide variety of options for paying for CyberGhost, including Visa, Mastercard, American Express, PayPal, and Bitcoin. Personally, we used a regular old credit card.
Is There a Free-Trial Period or Money-Back Guarantee?
CyberGhost does offer a free trial period, but it only lasts 24 hours. We liked that it didn’t charge our card or take any of our information before letting us give it a try, but 24 hours isn’t very much time to get a thorough understanding of the service and how it fits into our lives.
However, CyberGhost also offers a 45-day money-back guarantee for its longer subscription commitments and a 14-day money-back guarantee for its month-to-month contracts. If we didn’t like what we signed up for, we would have had the opportunity to ask for our money back, no questions asked. We didn’t run into this issue, though!
How Can I Cancel My Subscription?
If for some reason you are not pleased with CyberGhost’s service, you can cancel your VPN subscription easily. Here’s how:
- Log on to your CyberGhost account.
- Navigate to My Subscriptions on the account dashboard.
- Click Turn Auto-Renewal Off.
REMEMBER: CyberGhost offers a money-back guarantee. If you are not satisfied with your subscription and are still within the timeframe to get a full refund, make sure you take advantage.
Our Favorite Features
CyberGhost has a lot to offer; we’ve summarized our favorite features below.
- Headquartered in Romania: Where a VPN headquarters is important because it determines whether or not the company falls under Five Eyes, Nine Eyes, or Fourteen Eyes, which are surveillance alliances that apply to certain countries. CyberGhost is headquartered in Romania, which is not included in these alliances, so CyberGhost can never be forced to give up our data to the government.
- Great customer service: CyberGhost offers a 24/7 live chat with super responsive customer service specialists. The specialists answered all the questions we had about CyberGhost’s payment options in a quick yet patient manner.
- Affordability: We spend a lot of time looking at VPNs, so we know a good deal when we see it. $2.29 a month is on the lower end of the cost spectrum, and even its most expensive monthly offering of $12.99 per month won’t break the bank. Top competitors such as NordVPN cost between $3.67 and $11.95 a month, so CyberGhost is right in that range.
- Kill switch: A kill switch shuts down all of the apps and web activity we have going on in the unlikely event that the VPN fails. While this didn’t happen while we were testing out CyberGhost, we like to prepare for the worst and were glad we didn’t have to worry about our activity being exposed, even if it was only for a moment.
- Expansive network: CyberGhost offers almost 7,200 servers in 113 locations spanning 91 countries, so when it says it has a global presence, it isn’t kidding around. The closer we are to a server, the faster our internet experience will be, so we always look for VPNs with a high number of servers. Closer VPN servers optimized our VPN connection. Additionally, if we logged in to another server in, say, the U.K., using a U.K. IP address, we would be able to view the internet as if we were there physically. That opens up whole new worlds (literally) of information and entertainment!
Pro Tip: Lots of VPN companies tout “zero logging” policies. While some VPN companies log more information than others, all VPN companies log at least some information, even if it’s very minimal. That’s why we go through companies’ privacy policies and let you know exactly what is getting logged, and what isn’t. Learn more in our privacy guide.
- Strong encryption: CyberGhost uses AES-256 encryption, which is the gold standard for encryption on the market. We go even deeper into privacy and security in our full review of CyberGhost, if you want to learn more.
- Shared and anonymized IP addresses: When we connected to the Internet through CyberGhost, we shared an IP address with other “Ghosties,” which is what CyberGhost calls its customers. This feature made it difficult for hackers to pin down our activity to us, if they ever got past other security measures in place. CyberGhost also added an option to get a dedicated IP address for an additional $4 per month, in the event that we weren’t willing to share.
- Ability to torrent: We torrented files and shared them directly with our colleagues using the VPN just by clicking the Torrent Anonymously button. It couldn’t have been easier, and the files for our video reviews were transferred to our team members without a hitch.
- Can watch Netflix: We’re all hopelessly addicted to Netflix. For us, being able to stream our favorite TV shows and movies is non-negotiable, and luckily, we could watch Netflix while connected to CyberGhost.
- Widely compatible: We used CyberGhost on all of our different devices, browsers, and gaming systems. That consisted of Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android, Chrome, Firefox, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Android TV, Apple TV, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation 4. While CyberGhost’s software and hardware provided versatility, it also earned the third-place slot in our competition for the best VPN for Chrome, second only to formidable opponent ExpressVPN. It also ranked in our top five best VPNs for Fire TV Stick.
- Can connect up to seven devices at the same time: We tend to go from screen to screen, so it’s important that our protection isn’t interrupted (that’s the whole point of a VPN, after all)! From our phones to our laptops to our tablets to our Fire TV Stick, we never want our web activity to be exposed to surveillance, and CyberGhost covers us well.
Never Fear: We only have to purchase one subscription in order to connect up to seven devices to CyberGhost, which is the average with most VPN services. Once we made the initial subscription, we just needed to download the appropriate VPN app and log in to our account on our various devices.
CyberGhost tracks our names, addresses, emails, usernames, and payment information, which is standard for a VPN company. But it kept our IP addresses when we used the VPN, though it mentioned that it stores that information anonymously.
Also, CyberGhost kept information such as what country we browsed from, what browser and device we used, and when we used the VPN. It didn’t keep track of anything related to our web traffic, or what we did while we used the VPN.1 While it logged all our information anonymously, it did track more information than we would have liked. However, when it comes to keeping our information hidden from the bad guys, CyberGhost does its job, which is what counts.
CyberGhost is a great VPN that competes with its pricier competitors. It covered all the necessities of a VPN, like creating a secure internet connection that protected our web activity, without sacrificing too much of our internet speed. Its sprawling network of servers gave us lots of options for connectivity, with a server location in 90 countries.
With a price range between $2.29 and $12.99 a month, CyberGhost is affordable, especially compared to ExpressVPN pricing, which starts at $99 for a 15-month subscription. Three years with CyberGhost costs $83.85.
All things considered, as one of the most affordable VPNs on the market, it’s hard to say no to CyberGhost, and we’d highly recommend it to our readers.
If you want to compare it to other top VPNs, read our comparisons of ExpressVPN vs. CyberGhost or NordVPN vs. CyberGhost. Or, check out CyberGhost deals and CyberGhost Black Friday deals to see how much you can save.
Frequently Asked Questions
In the event that any of your burning questions have gone unanswered, here are the most popular questions we get about CyberGhost.
How much does CyberGhost cost?
CyberGhost subscriptions cost between $2.29 and $12.99 a month.
Subscription length Total amount billed Monthly cost Annual cost 3 years $83.85 $2.29 $27.96 2 years $75.60 $3.15 $37.80 1 year $47.40 3.95 $47.40 1 month $12.99 $12.99 $155.88
Is CyberGhost free?
Cyberghost is free for 24 hours, but then you’ll have to pay for a subscription. Subscription plans range from $2.25 to $12.99 a month. However, if you are not satisfied with your purchase, CyberGhost offers a 45-day money-back guarantee for its longer subscription commitments and a 14-day money-back guarantee for its monthly subscriptions. Essentially, you don’t ever have to feel locked into a subscription when you press Purchase.
How much is CyberGhost VPN renewal?
CyberGhost costs $58.50 to renew for the year after the two-year subscription period expires.
Does CyberGhost keep logs?
Yes, CyberGhost keeps some logs. The service tracks which country we used the VPN in, what time we used it as well as our account information, like our names, emails, and payment information. However, it didn’t log the IP addresses of our connected devices or our web traffic.